Preferred Name Change Policy for Faculty and Staff

Marymount Manhattan College recognizes that some Faculty and staff may identify by a name other than their Legal Name. For this reason, you may request to use this “Preferred Name” for certain College business.

Under MMC’s Preferred Name Change policy, Faculty and Staff may request that a “Preferred Name” be added to their Legal Name. You can make this request by submitting a completed Preferred Name Request form. Once the PNR form has been filed and processed, the Preferred Name will be displayed where possible in Marymount Manhattan’s administrative system. More specifically, the Preferred Name can be utilized in the following systems:

  • MMC ID Virtual ID Card (TouchNet OneCard)
  • MMC Email Display Name
  • Course Bulletin

The College uses several different information systems, some of which are unable to display a Preferred Name. In some cases, the College is required to use a faculty or staff member’s Legal Name (payroll, for example). The College is working towards being able to use Preferred Names across all information systems, but this will take time.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a Preferred Name?

A Preferred Name is the name by which a person identifies that differs from their Legal Name.

What is a Legal Name?

A Legal Name is the name that appears on your passport, driver’s license, birth certificate, or U.S. Social Security Card.

Do I have to use a Preferred Name?

No. Use of a Preferred Name is optional.

Where will my Legal Name be used?

Your Legal Name will be used in business and other processes that require use of a Legal Name. These include Federal or State Requests for Information (Including tax forms-1098T, W-4, etc.). In order to change your legal name, documentation is required. To do so, please contact the Department of Human Resources.

Are there any Preferred Name restrictions?

Preferred Names may not be used for purposes of fraud or misrepresentation. The College reserves the right not to approve a Preferred Name request or to remove a Preferred Name if it contains inappropriate or offensive language.

Does a Preferred First Name affect my Legal Name?

No. An approved Preferred Name does not change your Legal Name. It is for display purposes only.

If you have more questions about requesting a Preferred Name, please contact the Office of Human Resources at (212) 517-0537.